I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,468Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to Dawindyk, Jul 8, 2013

Dawindyk wrote:

So You want to put a lens with adapter that weights almost three times more than body (which is additionally grip less other than v2)?

It's not a problem for me, it might be for you.

I use these "big" lenses now on a D700 and never shoot one handed - in other words, I am always holding/supporting the lens with my left hand.

Even on my little Fuji X20.  That's how I operate the zoom and frame a shot.  Do you shoot one-handed?

Have you considered this: When using the adapter with lenses weighing over 380 g (13.4 oz), support the lens when holding the camera and do not use the camera strap. Failure to observe these precautions could damage the camera lens mount.

That's what big boys do with big toys.

My 80-200 f2.8 is far too heavy to rest off the end of a D700 unsupported.  I wouldn't be using this lens on the V too often, but because I am used to doing it, holding the camera by holding the lens, say a 17-55 f2.8, wouldn't be a problem for me.  That's how I carry aroundf the D700 when I am using the 80-200, by gripping the lens.

So basically you need at least monopod to be able to use most of lenses - doesn't sound too portable for me.

Monopod won't help, because the weight is in the lens, and as you say, the body can't support the weight of these huge lenses. However, plenty of people go birding with a V1 and a long tele lens because of the extra reach you get, and the quick AF.

I'm sure that I will be able to handle a much shorter 17-55 f2.8

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow