Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?
If you had peripheral autofocus points that worked...
In reply to joger, Jul 8, 2013

joger wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

schmegg wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I agreed 5D2 individual AF with center-point only is very accurate.

Imagine having 61 of them covering the frame!

(Oh wait - you don't need to imagine it - you have it now)

But doesn't matter if center-point does its job as in 5D2 and 6D cases. I'd agree more outer points certainly benefit in certain scenarios such as in close-up portrait with a fast-aperture lens in wide open if your model is not in center that I do benefit from my 5D3. I actually used center-point only in more shots from my 5D3 on static subjects.

and it does it's job more then adequate

horse race images from yesterday with some 10 m distance - horse passing in full y race speed with servo AF

one learning in my shooting from yesterday - below 200 mm focal length it completely useless for me because there is hardly any isolation of the subject - 420 mm and 600 mm are too long for horses passing by - 300 mm is a good compromise for group shots and individual riders - completely different scenario compare to the greyhounds i did now several times.

For the greyhounds 600 mm was almost too short (on FF)

horses for courses

The 300 f/4.0 plus extender or the 500 f/4.0 (I) in good used condition would be my choice if you need an optically and mechanically outstanding 500 mm lens below 10 k USD - thers is currently on on ebay ending in 20 h

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

You could've shot something like this...

Collis Birmingham, Australia, one of the world's best runners at the Cork City Sports..

Your jockey is too far forwards in the shot, it makes it uneasy..

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow