AB800 alternatives

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,219Gear list
Like?
Re: AB800 alternatives
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 8, 2013

I strongly recommend you read this thread before buying Elinchrom.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3511119

My recommendation would be the B800 with the 30"x60" softbox if you can afford it, even with the USP shipping cost. The 30"x60" softbox can be used horizontally for head shots or for waist up portraits of one person or a small group. Vertically it can be used for standing portraits.

If you can't afford the B800 then check the Flashpoint DG600 from Adorama. Like the B800 it has 6 stops of power control and it has a digital power readout. Note that the power control is NOT calibrated, but it does make it easy to tell how much you have changed the power or to return to a setting you have used before.

Adorama Flashpoint DG600 300 w/s Monolight, Blue FP600DG

Adorama Learning Center - Product Review: Flashpoint DG600 Blue Monolight

Speedrings are specific to the monolight. Most softboxes will fit any speedring.

Be careful mixing different brands of softboxes. Some of the cheap ones don't use proper diffuser fabrics and can cause color & WB shifts to the light. You are best sticking with quality brands and to a single supplier.

For more information I suggest you read my article of equipment for a small home studio.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait/Glamor Studio

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow