Suggest a good lens for shooting video in Nikon D5100.

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Suggest a good lens for shooting video in Nikon D5100.
In reply to Waterengineer, Jul 7, 2013

If the aim is to get shallow DOF, you need fast glass to achieve it... I have tried D5100 for video, but I ended up investing on NEX mount cameras (VG20/30) that I found superior... Still, being in a similar situation (because of the APSc size sensor) and since I have a huge collection of Nikkor lenses which I use with my FF cameras, I use the Sonys with Nikkor glass using adapters in MF only. My favorites for video are the 14mm f2.8D, the 17-35mm f2.8D, the fisheye 16mm f2.8 AI-s, the 24mm f2 AI-s, the 28mm f2 AI-s, the 35mm f1.4 Samyang, the 50mm F1.4 AI-s, the 85mm f1.8D, the 28-70mm f2.8D and the 80-200mm f2.8D dual ring. Notice that all the above are FF lenses and all of them have aperture rings... I have also tried the 17-55 f2.8 G which can be sharp at full aperture for video, but dropped it in favor of the even sharper 17-35 due to the lack of aperture ring. Also, I have this opinion that proper video is MF only... You can't have (other than the poor AF performance and noise) the focus depth changing all the time... no?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow