Mac accessories

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Mac accessories
In reply to Tom_N, 9 months ago

Tom_N wrote:

This is correct. You are bottlenecked by the weakest "link", and the 20 Mbps broadband Internet service will usually be a weaker link than the Wireless G router.

OK, thanks. That is what I assumed from the numbers. At least I don't feel foolish for still using a G router.

1. If you are not getting good speed test numbers – and you can determine that the problem is due to a cause such as microwave interference, or having the computers too far away from the Wireless G router.

No. I get numbers from SpeakEasy.net that correspond to the advertised network speed. Usually I run somewhere around 12-15 Mbps, sometimes as low as 5-7 Mbps, depending upon the time of day. I would buy faster speed if I could.

Speedtest.net - Broadband Speed Test

2. If your Wireless G router only supports static WEP, not the stronger WPA or WPA-2. This is a security vulnerability. (As far as I know, most Wireless G routers support at least WPA; the Wireless B ones were the WEP-only ones. But it never hurts to check.)

It is WPA-2.

3. If you want increased speed for local wireless file transfers (computer to NAS; NAS to computer; computer to computer).

Yes, but N is probably fast enough for that. Makes deciding on which Time Capsule to buy much easier. Thank you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow