14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?

Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?
In reply to dotborg, Jul 7, 2013

Coming from Nikon DX and FX systems, I had good luck with the 20mm primes and pro-level zooms. I found the cheaper or third party zooms to be lacking (soft corners, difficult CA, wavy distortion, etc). The 20s are pretty good all-around, but not not up to the level of the Fuji 14. The pro zooms (I used the Nikon 17-35/2.8) are just awesome and comparable to the Fuji 14, but you pay through the nose for them. I tend to think that a Fuji zoom that also performs close to the level of the 14 is going to be $$, but their other zooms are excellent and moderately priced, so all bets are off.

In terms of utility, I shoot mostly landscapes with WA lenses. The zooms certainly offer a higher degree of versitility, but analyzing a scene with a fixed focal length lens can help me get more into a "zen" shooting mindset that helps with my creativity. But that's just me...

As part of a travel kit, I've used UW zooms and primes. I would sometimes pair a WA zoom with a 50mm (eq.) prime and small tele. Or with a wide prime, it would be mid-zoom and tele. I tend to prefer the latter setup, as a mid-zoom is just more useful as a primary lens for travel than a prime or WA zoom, and traveling with more zooms just adds up to too much weight for me.

Anyhow, all of this is to say that I may well stick with the 14 when the zoom comes out, as it fits my needs just fine and suits my shooting style. But 10 is a lot wider than 14 and 10-24 is a sweet range to be sure. Either way, given the pluses and minuses of WA primes and zooms, and assuming Fuji continues to put out quality lenses, one really can't go wrong either way.

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow