How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,171Gear list
Like?
Re: How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Jul 7, 2013

MrMojo wrote:

Barefeats.com has speed comparisons of various Mac GPUs running different Photoshop operations. The Adobe website lists all the Photoshop features that take advantage of GPU acceleration. Between the two websites you can find enough info to ascertain if you need a faster GPU vs. the integrated Intel GPU in the Mac Mini.

I've been using iMacs since the original G3, including G5 and matte/glassy Intel models. When the 2012 Mac Mini came out I switched to the Mini/NEC displays. I'm done with iMacs; too many repairs that required giving up the computer for up to a couple of weeks. (I always have a backup but it is very inconvenient to be without my primary Mac.) At least in the old days I could do many repairs myself; that isn't an option since the Intel iMacs did away with the easily removable back.

The lack of a matte option and no ergonomic adjustments put the final nail in the iMac coffin. The new iMacs may be less reflective but the current display is even more difficult and expensive to repair (see iFixIt.com). And it's still too glossy for my taste...

One other advantage of the mini+display configuration is that if your mini conks out and you have a laptop, you can connect the nice big display to the laptop and keep on truckin'.

-- hide signature --

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow