How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,837Gear list
Like?
Re: iMac for glossy, mini + NEC for matte
In reply to Basalite, Jul 7, 2013

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Greg Eddinger wrote:
Can the Mac mini run dual monitors?

Yes - one large one, off the Thunderbolt port; plus one 24" one, off the HDMI port.

The size of the display on the HDMI port is irrelevant. It can power any display size to 1920x1080 resolution.

Large monitors have higher resolution than that. (The good ones do, anyway.) 27" monitors typically have 2560 x 1440 pixels; 30" monitors, 2560 x 1600.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

You wrote that the size of the display on the HDMI port is irrelevant. If the HDMI port cannot support 2560x1440 or 2560x1600, then the size of the display on the HDMI is relevant. HDMI will not support 30" and high-rez 27" displays. That is what Tom was clarifying.

-- hide signature --

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Read more carefully what I wrote.

You second statement about resolution is accurate. Your first statement about size is inaccurate or at least misleading. One might be able to drive a 30" display at 1080p, but very few people would want to.

No, it is as accurate as can be because it is a fact. What someone "would want to" do is another matter.

Might I ask, then, what you meant when you said size was "irrelevant"? If I had a 30" display, I would consider the HDMI 1080p limitation highly relevant, i.e. important to know and factor into my decision making process.

Once again, I simply stated what resolution the HDMI output supports. Display size is irrelevant to what resolution the HDMI supports. Your "decision making process," or anyone else's, on what you consider a suitable display size is irrelevant to what resolution the HDMI supports.

Display size is relevant to whether you want to use it with HDMI.

Bloddy hell. Do you not understand the difference between resolution and screen size? You could use an 80 or a 100 inch, or any other sze, 1080P screen with HDMI. An HDMI port, and any other video port, does not care what size display you plug into it.

Irrelevant: Closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand.

Whoah, what dictionary are you looking at? You got it backwards my friend.

Oops. NOT, NOT closely connected...

English is not your first language, is it?

C'mon, simple typo. Give a guy a break.

The issue here is that you think the matter at hand is to get 1080p output. If that is the goal, then you're right, size doesn't matter.

The "matter at hand" with my remark was to correct the statement he made below that I bolded and underlined!!

Yeah, I got that. Thing is, I don't think he needed any correcting. If you want to really get linguistic, I suppose Tom could have written "plus one display with a native resolution up to 1920x1080." But, given that most displays over 24" exceed HDMI's 1080p, I think his 24" shorthand was reasonable. And, the point you're missing is that Tom and I were trying to make sure the OP didn't misunderstand your post as indicating that he could put a high-rez display on HDMI without suffering down-rezzing. The way you wrote it, it sounded like you could put a any size display on HDMI and it would make no difference to the display's performance. The relevant fact here is that if you put a typical 27" or 30" display on HDMI, performance will be signficantly downgraded. This fact was somewhat obscured by your insistence that size doesn't matter. To the extent that size correlates with resolution, it does matter.

However, Tom's post was not about getting 1080p output.

My first response on the matter was him saying: "Yes - one large one, off the Thunderbolt port; plus one 24" one, off the HDMI port."

It was about making the best use of the available ports. And, if someone has a 2560x1440 27" or 2560x1600 30" display, then HDMI is not a good solution. Hence, his suggestion that HDMI would be suitable for a display up to 24" (i.e. 1080p) made perfect sense.

Not the part where he says "plus one 24" one" and now your "up to 24!!"

Once again, it doesn't matter the size display you plug into an HDMI port.

If all you want is 1080p. When I plug my 27" 2560x1440 display into my computer, I do NOT want 1080p.

-- hide signature --

Oh...My...God....

I give up.

[Warning: obscure Monty Python reference]

But it was just getting interesting! That was never five minutes just then...

-- hide signature --

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow