How often do you need to use a lens to make it worth owning?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grey0135
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
How often do you need to use a lens to make it worth owning?
Jul 7, 2013

I own the 12-35mm.  It's not cheap (I paid $1,050), but I use it all the time--at least twice a week--so it's definitely worth it to me.  Last year, I got the 7-14mm lens.  I wasn't planning on getting it, but I saw it for $795 on Craigslist, and snapped it up. I was just about to go on a 2 week trip to Europe, so I thought worse comes to worse, I can sell it afterward.  I've taken a total of 559 pictures with it, mostly on that trip.  I've only used the camera twice since then.  That's not a lot of use, but then again it's not the type of lens you use every day...

Most of the pictures I've taken are of interiors.  For instance:

This picture was taken in Krakow.  Wasn't exactly sure how to with the perspective correction.  The bottom of the image is level, but the top isn't...

However, I've occasionally used it outdoors as well.

I took this picture on the same Europe trip.  A wedding of a close friend in England.

I've looked at the pictures I've taken at 7mm.  Generally speaking, I didn't actually need the 7mm all that often, although shooting wide does provide latitude for keystone correction.

If I were to sell the 7-14mm (e.g., to help fund the 35-100...), my remaining wide angle options would be the 12-35 and the rokinon fisheye.

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow