Senior MemberPosts: 1,065Gear list
Like?
Re: Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses
In reply to mtlr, Jul 7, 2013

mtlr wrote:

mais51 wrote:

fhoffman wrote:

Hi,

I currently own a Canon 7D and have also invested in high quality Canon lenses including the 10-22mm ultra-wide, 24-70 f/2.8L (1st gen) and 70-200 f/4L IS.

I plan to upgrade to a full frame camera and am leaning towards Nikon D600. This camera appears to have the overhand compared to Canon 6D and I've almost convinced myself that it's worthwhile to make the shift...

I plan to sell my Canon gear and use the money to buy the D600 body and some lenses.

Ideally I would like to have lenses that cover the same focal lengths as my current set up, and as my budget has its limitations I am considering these two lenses:

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

I'm looking for any advice on these two lenses and my "strategy" as a whole. Will the supposed quality gains in the D600 body be outweighed by the degradation of quality in the lenses? Am I better off staying with Canon and buying a 6D instead? Any suggestions for an alternative/better combination of lenses that falls into the same rough budget range as the two above?

Any advice is most appreciated!

Thanks

FH

Are you serious or just trolling ?

If you are then take my advice: Keep your Canon gears, if you still want to switch steer away from the D600 - cheaply built, horrible quality control, the ideal is good but the execution is terrible. I am a Nikon shooter but I'd not touch the D600 until Nikon sort out the problem with grease, oil and dust on sensor - can't imagine me cleaning the sensor every few thousands shots.

Nikon either shapes up or ships out.

Now this is what I'd call trolling and outright misinformation. This guy doesn't even own a D600.

I do own a D600 and I consider it outstanding in all regards, specially IQ, handling and, yes, build quality. The sensor dust/oil issue seems to be present but it's totally easy to deal with, you just blow it away or do the occasional wet clean that is quite usual for all DSLRs anyway, no big deal.

For more knowlegeable and serious evaluation about the D600 there are dozens of professional reviews you can refer to, of course (I personally consider Thom Hogan and Luminous Landscape among the best).

On your post questions, I consider lens quality is usually more important than the body at use, but if you're inclined to come to the dark side, I would concur on advising to consider the Tokina for wide zoom and the Nikon 70-200 f/4, a stellar lens for tele zoom, instead of the 28-300 (good for a 10X zoom, but not at the same level). There is a price difference but not so big, and this the kind of lens that you'll never regret buying.

Why would I want to buy into trouble ?

I am a Nikon shooter since 1982 - over 30 years, before that I used Pentax for 10 years.  Nikon used to be first class equipment - not any more even if you pay a fortune for a D800.  Hope they come back to the quality stuff, my D300s built like a tank, all metal non of this plastic bits.  The earthquake hit Japan, the flood hit Thailand and Nikon quality control gone down with the tsunami and flood water !

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow