70D + an L lens or a 5D Mk3?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: 70D + an L lens or a 5D Mk3?
In reply to Wayndom, Jul 7, 2013

Wayndom wrote:

Don't mean to sound condescending, but I have to ask, are you kidding? The one and only reason to go full-frame is if you're wedded to shallow depth of field. There's no other real-world difference between FF and aps-c. Oh, yeah, I know on paper there's a marginal superiority in FF, but in the real world, no on can tell FF from aps-c by looking at 13X19 inch prints.

You forgot being able to use shotrs at ISO 6400 and even beyond that. How about IQ coming from the much bigger pixel size? Also that depth of field translates into a pretty much unique feel into the pictures that most of the times you cannot achieve with APS-C.

Also all the EF-S lens are pretty crappy on the wide side if you shoot landscape. Your only choice is the 10-22 witch is pretty expensive ( the same price that you pay on the 17-40 on full frame witch has better IQ , colors and is an constant f4).

Also being able to have a real all around lens like the 24-70 f2.8 or even the 24-105 f4 with constant aperture is a must if you do events, even video some times. There is no such lens 15-50 or 15-85 with wide constant aperture for APS-C. So not only you are crippled by low ISO but also by the lens aperture...

So clearly, you'll get much more bang for your buck with a 70D.

But do your homework - you'll also do better to get an EF-S 15-85 or 17-55 than to buy an L lens (which is made for FF, and does NOT perform as well on aps-c as the EF-S lenses cited). And you'll still have money left over...

-- hide signature --

Canon since 1969

Also how did you come to the conclusion that an L lens does not perform as well as an EF-S? Because it is made for FF, any EF lens ( not just L glass) makes an image circle the size of the FF sensor. If you use a EF lens on an APS-C body then the sensor will use only the central part of the lens, which is always the sharpest and has less distortion. So if you use ANY EF lens on an APS-C it will perform better than on FF body. The only problem you might encounter is with old lens that might not have the resolution the APS-C requires. But I doubt you will encounter that in any L designated lens.

I used APS-C for many years and I now have the 5d mark iii. There is no APS-C body that can really compare to the 5d or the 6d. I doubt that even with an upgraded sensor the 70D will beat that.

I strongly advice you to look at the 6d kit, it is probably the best value on the market. It is a mature product. The 70D will come at a big price tag that will probably drop in a few months. Buying one in the first month will mean you will lose a lot of money when upgrading.

That goes also for the EF-S lens. The L glass tends to keep it's price very well when you sell it for an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of L glass at all. I would recomend you take a look at some great EF lens: Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, etc.

Good luck with your choices. But wait at least untill you see some real life reviews for the 70D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow