Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?
In reply to nixda, Jul 7, 2013

nixda wrote:

PG Thomas wrote:

Regarding primes vs zooms and quality, it used to be that zooms couldn't match primes, but that's not been the case for quite some time now. There are absolutely excellent zooms available nowadays. And even if the zooms were a bit 'worse' the difference isn't that great in many cases. I think there isn't much reason anymore to go with primes over zooms, in general, other than that primes often have larger apertures perhaps (but the highest IQ is generally achieved at smaller apertures anyway), or size.

for myself the prime vs zoom question is a lot about shooting wide open vs stopped down. If you shoot at f/5.6 or close to it, then the flexibility of the zoom might be best for some. If you shoot wide open to get some bokeh, then primes rule. At the wide end i do not care about bokeh and often prefer DOF so an f/2.8 prime when stopped down is often about the same as a quality zoom at the same aperture.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow