Advice for constructing a soft box adapter for an existing light head?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mvarnado
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Advice for constructing a soft box adapter for an existing light head?
Jul 7, 2013

My plans to make a custom soft box adapter to fit my CFL light panel.

My light head

I designed and constructed a CFL light head to fit onto a standard light stand as shown in the photo above. I would now like to construct a slip-on soft box adapter to accompany it. Since the CFLs are naturally diffuse, I'm not trying to soften the light so much as increase the size of the light source for a nice catch light in my subject's eyes. I also plan to make this soft box adapter with a removable grid for more control over the spill. My question to you experts is about the dimensions of my soft box. How deep? What shape for the opening? What dimensions for the opening? Any other tips for getting all of the light to be directed forward and avoiding hot spots? Thanks so much.
P.S. I made 2 of these. These continuous lighting heads are part of a 3-point lighting kit for documentary interviews. My wife may use it for her part-time photography work as well, but it's primarily for video lighting.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow