Science magazine becomming a rag of the left?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
Re: Science magazine becomming a rag of the left?
In reply to bigrgib, 9 months ago

bigrgib wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Myself, I don't know if it's a BS claim, or not. However, from what you wrote, the article is not necessarily incorrect.

For example, if global warming has resulted in less precipitation in the area than use to be the case, enough that there were more dead trees around that could easily catch fire when struck with lightening, then global warming would be an indirect cause for the fire.

Like I said, I don't know one way or another. The article might be total BS, but the fact that lightening sparked the fire does not mean that global warming did not contribute to the conditions that made the chance of a fire much more likely.

That's true but the point he's trying to make, I think, is that there have been droughts and hot weather, and hence wildfire prone conditions, way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in.

AGW would have started when humans started digging up and burning fossil fuels. Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in".

The BS would be assuming, without further proof, that present conditions are caused by AGW.

The proof is in the soil conditions caused by climate change, as GB is referring to -- less rainfall in spring leads to drier soil and kills more trees, then in summer you get hotter conditions (less evaporation of moister) and have more dead wood available for when a fire starts.

Australia has also had increasingly severe wildfires as climate change has changed the conditions there.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow