Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gazza Wilson
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
MacBook Air & External Monitor.
Jul 7, 2013

I've never owned a Mac before, but will purchase a new MacBook Air (11"/1.7 GHz i7/8 GB Ram/512 GB flash storage) in the next couple of weeks. My wife and I currently run a laptop each, and connect these to larger external monitors (Dell 30" & Dell 27")when home in the office. The MacBook air is to replace our smaller laptop as we need something smaller and lighter when travelling that will also handle all our photography (Nikon D4 & Sony RX-1). The laptop on its own will be ideal for travel and some photo editing on the run (Adobe Lightroom 4 & Photoshop Elements), but for serious work when we return home we need to connect it to a larger monitor for critical editing work. I really have no idea what a Thunderbolt port is, but the Dell monitors have the following connection options:

1 Dual Link Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-DL) with HDCP; 1 DisplayPort 1.2 (DP); 1 Mini DisplayPort 1.2 (mDP); 1 High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI); 1 USB 3.0 upstream port; 4 USB 3.0 downstream ports; 1 DisplayPort out; 1 Audio out.

I would be very grateful if anyone could please offer any assistance as to how I connect my current monitor to an 11" MacBook Air. The monitor came with a DVI-D Cable, DisplayPort Cable (Mini DP to DP), and USB 3.0 upstream Cable. I currently use the Mini DP to DP on my laptop.

Cheers,

Gary

Nikon D4 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow