Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 7, 2013

PGR streetshooter wrote:

I got the GR on the last day of May. I liked it first off but shortly I had reservations about how it would work with me. I felt that it was intruding on my vision and process and not supporting it. I've been into Ricoh's since I was in Nam in 1969-70. So I'm used to the certain issues the Ricoh engineers have and don't take meds for.

After a few weeks I was ready to give up and use the Nikon. I just felt that inside the GR was a GRD4 hiding. So I decided to give the camera a month to prove itself. It did and I'm just about settled in with it. I talked with Ray, yes...hes a local friend and he helped me decide on the way to use the camera. There are issues with this GR thing and hopefully in time, it will be worked out in a firmware upgrade. At this point, I don't care anymore...I just want to work.

That is the Ricoh adventure so far. The Nikon is as good if not better. To qualify that, I like the Ricoh interface more than any other camera, bar none. The Nikon has a very masculine way to it vrs the GR which is more feminine. I know this sounds crazy and it probably is but truth is truth.

The Nikon has features that the GR needs upgrading to but probably won't happen. If I were to do it all over, I'd give up on the GR and keep the Nikon. That camera really works the way we want the GR to work.

I know this is like a story but that's the way life is.... a story...

good luck in your quest.

Hi Don,

Very interesting post. Sounds like you've passioned with Ricoh for a long time. Did you own the GRD4 prior to the GR / GRD5 ?

From reviews i definitely prefer Ricoh's interface too. I guess I know what you mean with "feminine", but I'd probably consider it as more "intuitive" and faster to use and access. Either of these cameras is a huge step up from the ZS7 when it comes to customize-ability and features, and acessing these features as fast as possible would be an added bonus for me.

Troels,
Yeah man...I still have the White GRD4 in use and a Black one in the box as a backup.
The GR tested my patience and showed its sense of humor. We're starting to get along now....ya know...it's been this way with all woman and me forever.....
So I now share more with the GR because she very quietly demands attention.

I see it like this...I have sold enough prints to collectors to let me know I'm on the right track. The GR does become intuitive in time. I know I am far more demanding of a camera than most but I have to say, it's up for the task.

My brother in law is in Russia and he's a programming genius. I made some request to him for firmware things and he's getting a camera and will redo the operating system. Hopefully then he'll send me the files and I'll make a super GR.

By the way....issue 3 is getting ready and if anyone wishes to have around 5 images and a brief statement in it..... Let me know and I'll get your stuff in It. We are over 38000 readers and climbing....
--
Cheers, Don

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgrshooter/

blog
http://streetshooter.net/

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow