Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Stevbrkr
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Re: Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses
In reply to Zlik, 9 months ago

Zlik wrote:

I wouldn't switch, get the 6D or the 5DmkIII which are excellent cameras. The "only" advantage I see on the Nikon side (I own Nikon) is the DR at base ISO, but unless you really push your files in post, you will not see a big difference. If I had Canon lenses, I would be happy with a 5DmkIII. Right now, I am very happy with my D800, but all full frames bodies right now from both Canon and Nikon are amazing cameras, light years ahead of a 7D sensor.

I agree with this. You are going to let go of a 24-70f2.8 and a 70-200 f4 to end up with lesser Nikon 28-300 glass because you will loose money on the switch.

I shoot Nikon and I am of the firm belief that switching systems is not a great idea and I would not switch from what you have to a D600 with consumer lenses.

Keep what you have and get a Cannon 6D or, if you can afford it, a 5Diii to go with your 7D. You will get a 300mm field of view with the 70-200 on the 7D and use the 24-70 on the 5D. Sort your UWA later by trading for a 17-40 f4 or 16-35 f2.8. Another alternative is sell the 7D and wide angle and get a 5Diii and 16-35 f2.8.

If you are going to go Nikon you will need to budget for a 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 to get glass as good or slightly better than you already have. It will cost a fortune in the switch.

Steve

Stevbrkr's gear list:Stevbrkr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow