Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?
Re: "Poor Man's Image Stabilization"
In reply to TB Rich, Jul 6, 2013

Oh no not at all, I'm a rank amateur asking to learn! Often I do fire a couple off but using differing shutter button presses so AF changes each time. Using a burst on a single press would keep the AF point locked. So I was just wondering really if this technique may be a better method. Only one way to tell is to try of course, though I don't shoot landscape really but was thinking about doing some tomorrow for a change.

One of the points about autofocus is that it is inconsistent. Every time the camera focuses on a particular target there is a degree of variation. So taking several shots of something where you can, is a good idea. Liveview is more accurate esp with magnification. Stopping down of course also helps. If you are someone like Joger, and he can't help being the way he is, that's his nature, you can get so obsessed about ultimate sharpness that you forget to take action shots like this (my future son-in-law in a river swim today)..

It's sharp enough but that's not at all what attracts me to it. It's the splash..

Of course I can't repeat this exact shot, but I shot lots. Don't forget to take photographs. That's what gear is for. I take a lot of shots which I would regard as slightly off as regards focus or sharpness or even exposure which other people rate highly, bless them, so do not allow perfection to interfere with function.

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow