ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,994Gear list
Like?
Two people dead hiking to The Wave
Jul 6, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-dies-route-popular-rock-formation-014530468.html

The permit system for this and other areas within the purvue of the BLM, NPS & Forestry Service is a crime against U.S citizens for obvious reasons - constitutionality is one. These U.S. services should not be in the business of preventing or regulating US citizens from seeing their own country simply because it is inconvenient or costs money for these services to create safe avenues correctly. If an individual State wants to restrict access to an area in any manner they wish, that is their business and they should foot the bill and administer the restrictions themselves. The U.S. governement should not be involved in this particular activity because it violates the whole reason they exist.

The BLM, NPS and Forestry Service are goaded into such restrictive practices by citizens of priveldge who believe they know more than you and I and are so situated that they can visit a park anytime they want and would have the governemnt create personal playgrounds for their amusement. The fact that this very remote but popular area (popular in the sense that many more people want to see the area than are allowed to see it) is traveled so sparsely is due to the artificial situation created by the BLM permit system itself. Otherwise, if more folks traveled the route, the deceased may have been found before they actually died. OTOH, the danger inherent in hiking across the desert is part of what makes the hike a significant achievement and should be experienced by anyone who wants to experience it.

We all know that safety is not why the restrictions are really in place. Some government knucklehead listened to the blather from "concerned" individuals or groups claiming that "excessive" crowds might harm the rock if too many were allowed to walk on it and an arbitrary number was put into place for this so-called crowd control. The 6 mile hike in and out is crowd control enough. Jeez, please forgive the American public for wanting to participate in a healthy and informative activity.

I've been denied a permit in the online lottery 3 years in a row for the month of May.. This is criminal to me. I could be 70 years old, the same age as the deceased in the article, before I win this lottery. The walk-in lottery does not make one lick of sense. Expecting someone to travel 1000 miles to take a 90% chance of denial is unfathomable to me. Also, this lottery does not take into account folks that are returning for the umpteem time because they are so situated that they can get back into the lottery (online or walk-in) every day.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BullNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow