schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,980
Like?
Re: Lesser gear is not a waste
In reply to joger, Jul 6, 2013

joger wrote:

NancyP wrote:

I have picked up some good technique and fieldcraft with the Canon 400mm f/5.6L, which provides high IQ at a relatively low price. Eventually I may get one of the Big Whites.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

there are numerous people in most forums that can't get decent photos with the latest and greatest and utmost gear - at the end of the day it is always a question of mastering your gear the the shortcomings of it and of learning from others.

Even the best and latest technology and AF won't help you if you don't anticipate what's happening or if you just rely on the fancy technology.

Last weekend I've met a photographer shooting bursts of five shots for ever single (Landscape) shot with the explanation that photomatix calculates one image out of the five and that is the best technique to shoot - I was literally shocked by that point of view - but who knows - maybe I am wrong - I prefer one good image instead of maybe one good out of five

IS and AF are IMHO highly overrated when it comes to cameras. IS is more helpful then the AF - a slightly poorer AF can be overcome by good craftsmanship but a missing IS can't be compensated that much and even with 1/(focal length) exposure time a very high number of images get unsharp. I've tested that with my hands and on my 5D II I need (with my hands without IS) roughly 1/[2x(focal length)] to be 100 % sure to have on pixel level no unsharpness caused by camera shake (hand held)

With IS the same perceived keeper rate is possible at 1/[0,5x(focal length)] - so in other words for me it's an advantage of >4 stops - of course as long as the subject is not moving too fast.

AF is not an issue for me with the possibility of live view and spot AF with one cross type AF in the middle of the frame plus reframing.

A very narrow-minded diatribe.

There are very valid reasons why 5 exposures blended may be superior to one. Likewise, AF performance is very important in certain situation.

I think you might just be attempting to apply your particular use case to everyone else - a big mistake.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow