Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to joger, Jul 6, 2013

joger wrote:

garyknrd wrote:

I am amazed at the people who do not recommend Sigma 500mm F4.5 lens. I own it in Pentax mount and the lens is deadly sharp and very easy to handle. In Canon mount you get HSM, focus limiter. It will be tripod mount but still light and easy to handle. Used wow. A steal for sure. I owne the Canon 300 and will pick the Sigma over it and T.C.'s any day. I even find myself using it instead of the Canon 500. It is that good and that easy to handle.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

Baecause this Combo on Canon has no IS - and that's the killing fact

if you have laboratory conditions the IS is not very Importanz but in Real world it is IMHO a Must have for most sujets if you want to keep the ISO moderatly low

of course you can use a higher ISO number but then you waiste a lot of possible Image qualty also on the latest and gratest cameras

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

I thought the thread was how to get 500mm without spending a lot? My best shots with my Canon 500 are on a tripod or bean bag with IS turned off? BIF off. You are going to work harder to get the shots without IS but I just saw one on ebay for 3100 dollars. I started with the Sigma 500. It is not as good as the Canon gear for sure. But cheap, and a very good 500 for serious work without breaking the bank. IMO. Personally if I were to buy another one. I would buy it in Sony mount for the IS in the Sony camera. It is said to be very good. I bought it in Pentax mount for the IS but the Pnetax cameras are very poor compared to Canon and Sony IMO. Hence Sony.

Sony and Pentax are screw AF? But it is faster than my Canon 500? Never understood that. People who say screw AF is not as fast as HSM are wrong in many cases. This is one of them.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow