Thank you to my new friends here--and prolly farewell, too

Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Water Ouzel
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
A more measured response
In reply to Water Ouzel, Jul 6, 2013

Thank you, all, for your contributions to my sense of perspective. My two previous Nikons were film cameras, starting with a used "F" in the late 60's. This D800e is a serious upgrade from my first digital camera, an X-E1, if you don't count the iPhone, and my time with a PDF of the manual this afternoon has been well spent.

As I have delved into the manual and the settings, it is clear that this camera was shipped to me from B&H, not only with that magnanimous shutter count, but with extensive deviations from default settings. New camera to me, it took some reading to learn why the damned camera would not autofocus on half-press--was it the lens? the camera?--because the A4 setting had been left to focus only on the AF-ON button. Lots of other examples, like continuous focus, color space, image quality and ISO were all non-default. The camera and packaging look absolutely mint, but someone had made significant use of it before B&H shipped to me as new. Probably some NSA contractor doing some counterfeiting or some friend of B&H on a fashion shoot. (Why would they need the old Adobe colorspace?)

The advice from "lickity split" (really?) was singularly productive. I paraphrase: congratulations, you have a loaner until Monday with return paid shipping. Great advice. What's 200 more activations on this camera? Answer: a delta of 7.3%   Almost nothing.

I am loving the images it produces, and am now of the mind to stay with Nikon. Either a D800 or a D800e. As I look at the noise with ISO 400 on this D800e, I'm going to need to rethink if the $500 difference with the "rebate" is worth it. Anyway, thinking to exchange this body for another Nikon.

So, again, thanks for the responses. I've got a coupla days to look at this more carefully.

Brad

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow