Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TGM123
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
New YN568EX II issue as compared to 550EX - Please help
Jul 6, 2013

My new YN568EX II came in the mail today and I have spent the last 6+ hours using it with my 7D. It behaves very differently than my 550EX and I want understand if it is the YN568EX II, user error (e.g. me), or I have simply grown up with the 550EX and it is the weird actor here and I am just used to it.

I am using a Canon 7D, 24-70 2.6L II, ETTL metering for both flashes. I am simply taking a picture with the 550EX and then putting the YN568EX II on and taking the same picture. No settings on the camera change - 100+ shots, in different lighting conditions, subjects, etc. The shots were done with a using a bounce flash and a diffuser on both flashes at the same flash head angle. I tried to keep every variable the same, I simply switched flashes and then snapped the same shot with the same flash configuration (diffuser, head angle, etc).

The issue is that with the YN568EX II at 24mm it exposes correctly and at 70mm it seems to underexpose. I have to go to at least +1 on the YN568EX II to get it to expose correctly for the 70mm shots but not the 24mm shots.

In both (and all) cases the 550EX exposes correctly every time, no difference between 70 and 24mm.

Any idea what is going on or what I am doing wrong? Any idea why the 550EX seems to compensate?

Thanks.

TGM123's gear list:TGM123's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow