Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AA5B Tiger
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Fireworks retouching efficiency
Jul 5, 2013

Was playing around this morning with some of yesterday's fireworks pictures.  One in particular looked good except some smoke inside the burst.   I spent some time with cloning in "clean black sky" from other parts of the image then copying explosion streamers and transforming/warping them over the discolored streamers the smoke obscured.

Is there a better, smarter, more efficient way to do the same thing?  i.e. Calculations/color range to mask out just smoke, some sort of painting and blend modes to recolorize the streamers, maybe using Lab color to get rid of the smoke in a cleaner way?  Maybe the transparency/color seperation functions of CS6 & CC?

'Tried quite a bit using color selections and various combinations of image calculations to just quick mask-out the smoke then come back and paint the streamers -- but no luck.

Just thought this photo might provide a good chance to learn some of these deeper aspects (to me) of Photoshop retouching.  Any advice is welcomed.

Using Photoshop CC

Original - Two large smoke clouds messing up the image.

I worked on the lower/larger smoke cloud with lots of cloning then copying and pasting "good" streamers from other parts of the image.   Is there a better way?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow