A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439
Like?
Re: A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens
In reply to SohoAperture, 9 months ago

SohoAperture wrote:

I currently use the 24-105mm on my 5D3 but have this awful habit of using too much zoom. Although i normally end up with lovely portrait shots i normally miss out on what is really happening in the scene and only capture the small details rather than the main event. I know i should discipline myself but thought a 50mm could maybe help prevent me from doing this.

I see a lot of people using the 50mm as the lens of choice for everyday photography, would you recommend this as the lens of choice for everyday street, holiday shots, etc? Would the 35mm or the 85mm be a better choice?

Also a photographer friend tells me the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 - is this the case?

Or would you recommend i sell one of my kidneys and buy a canon 50mm 1.2?

I am still swaying to the 50m 1.4 but would like to hear other peoples experience

Thanks in advance

I had the 50 1.4 and it was a good lens at the least. I know some pro's that use it frequently, Omar Carter for one and he is awesome with it. Much has to do with how much you like that focal length and your skill with the lens in question. I know that the optics are really good on the 50 1.4 but only as wide as 2.2 on a regular basis. You can almost guarantee your shot at 2.2 but wider than that it struggles. Naturally you can shoot it wide open if the subject is still and if you are not too too close. So if 2.2 is good enough for you get the lens. If 2.2 is not  good enough for you you have to consider the 50L. I only shot the Sigma once and I did not like it much. But one time really is not a fair test. Yor photo store should be willing to let you test the lens if they think you are serious !

The Sigma 35 is truly great but for me personally I would not be happy with only one prime lens that was 35mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow