A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens

Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Philippe Castagna
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
Re: A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens
In reply to SohoAperture, Jul 5, 2013

SohoAperture wrote:

I currently use the 24-105mm on my 5D3 but have this awful habit of using too much zoom. Although i normally end up with lovely portrait shots i normally miss out on what is really happening in the scene and only capture the small details rather than the main event. I know i should discipline myself but thought a 50mm could maybe help prevent me from doing this.

I see a lot of people using the 50mm as the lens of choice for everyday photography, would you recommend this as the lens of choice for everyday street, holiday shots, etc? Would the 35mm or the 85mm be a better choice?

Also a photographer friend tells me the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 - is this the case?

Or would you recommend i sell one of my kidneys and buy a canon 50mm 1.2?

I am still swaying to the 50m 1.4 but would like to hear other peoples experience

Thanks in advance.

I recently tried the 2 canon f/1.4 and f/1.2 on my 6D (which provide similar IQ than the 5DmkIII)

The f/1.2 gave me great images with a beautiful bokeh. Compare to the 24-105 @50mm and f/5.6 the result was similar but with a most detailed and smooth bokeh. The general image IQ is improved.

I had the f/1.4 several years on my 40D (crop) and it was good but I didn't like it at all on the 6D. Especially in the corner the IQ is not really attractive.

Finally, FYI, for everyday photo and lighter system, I goes with the canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake which is good wide open and much better than the 50mm f/1.4 for half price and half size...

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Philippe Castagna's gear list:Philippe Castagna's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow