A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens

Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: A quick question to those who use a 50mm lens
In reply to SohoAperture, Jul 5, 2013

SohoAperture wrote:

I currently use the 24-105mm on my 5D3 but have this awful habit of using too much zoom. Although i normally end up with lovely portrait shots i normally miss out on what is really happening in the scene and only capture the small details rather than the main event. I know i should discipline myself but thought a 50mm could maybe help prevent me from doing this.

I see a lot of people using the 50mm as the lens of choice for everyday photography, would you recommend this as the lens of choice for everyday street, holiday shots, etc? Would the 35mm or the 85mm be a better choice?

I own the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 . They are great lens. For general use I would say that the 50mm is better than the 85. The 85 will give you a better background blur for portraits but is a bit long. I sometimes find even the 50mm to long if you shoot indoors at least. I am planning in buying a 35 or 24 mm beacuse of this. But 50mm is a great full body portrait lens, maybe good to use for 2-3 people groups if you have enough space to backup.

Also a photographer friend tells me the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 - is this the case?

Or would you recommend i sell one of my kidneys and buy a canon 50mm 1.2?

I had some bad experiences with third party lens and will never buy one again. I don't think the Canon 50mm f1.2 is worth the money against the 1.4 if you do not need the weather sealing the L ring brings.

I am still swaying to the 50m 1.4 but would like to hear other peoples experience

Thanks in advance.

From my experience I can tell you I love the lens and use it for about 3 years now without any problem. The focus is not as fast as the 85mm but it is precise and fast enough.

Good luck with your choice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow