Color space ?'s for cross communication between prints and web

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Color space ?'s for cross communication between prints and web
In reply to pgphoto100, Jul 5, 2013

If you are critical about photography then you should be using a color corrected monitor. My first recommendation is the Datacolor Spyder4Pro or Spyder4Elite - not the Spyder4Express. The Pro and Elite give you an Advanced mode which will provide you with a graphical guide to help you manually set the monitor brightness, contrast, and individual R, G, & B values before the software finishes the color calibration. Setting these controls manually will give you the most accurate and longest lasting color calibration.

My second recommendation is the X-Rite Color Monki Display but be sure to set the monitor controls manually as recommended.

Lightroom uses 16-bit ProPhoto as the working color space. When you Export to Photoshop the image will remain in the 16-bit ProPhoto color space unless you purposely convert it into some other color space. When you finish editing the TIFF (better choice than PSD since more filters are available) and save it the TIFF file will still be in the ProPhoto color space.

If you want to save a copy for the Web it must be in 8-bit sRGB color space.

If you Export a JPG image from Lightroom it is automatically converted. I usually use the File>Export>Lightroom Presets>For Email command.

There are two ways to save JPGs in the 8-bit sRGB color space in Photoshop.

1. Use the File>Save for Web command. This will automatically convert the image to the correct color space and apply appropriate sharpening for the web.

2. First use the Edit>Convert to Profile>sRGB command then use the File>Save As>JPEG command. Doing this changes the working color space for the file so only do this if you know you are finished with the TIFF file and have saved it.

If you have CS6 or CC then you can reduce the size of the image to one appropriate for the web as part of the File>Save for Web command process.

If you are using CS5 or earlier you need to use the Image>Image Size command to reduce the size of the image before using the File>Save for Web or Devices command.

Frankly it is just easier to save JPGs for the Web from Lightroom using the For Email command.

Most home and commercial printers use the 8-bit sRGB color space. If you are sending a file out to be printed then use this second method of converting your images to sRGB and then apply the desired amount of sharpening AFTER you convert the image before saving the full sized image as a JPG.

Normally I print directly from Lightroom since all my images wind up back in Lightroom even if I have edited them in Photoshop.  I like the Lightroom printing module better too.

If I am sending an image out for printing I save it to a JPG file from the Lightroom Print Module.  That way I can use custom Templates, make all the sharpness adjustments, and add my Identity Plate or watermark to the file.

The best working space for Photoshop depends on what you use Photoshop for. If it is only used to edit files Exported from Lightroom then use the 16-bit ProPhoto working color space.

If you use Photoshop to directly edit JPGs or to do graphical work then it is probably best to use the 8-bit sRGB working space.

Only if you have a high end wide gamut monitor or a high end printer that is capable of printing in the aRGB color space should you be using aRGB as your Photoshop working color space.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow