Well, I broke down and finally bought an iMac. I hope this configuration will work for

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: One more thought
In reply to ARB1, Jul 5, 2013

ARB1 wrote:

Basalite wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Given the choice which of these two options would you take?

For the second one I'd use an external SSD for my photo/video files and let the 1TB fusion mostly run the programs. Just wondering if it's worth giving up the 3TB Fusion drive for the 2 GB GeForce card?

3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB memory
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB

OR

3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB memory
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 2GB

-- hide signature --

Allen

The later because it represents the highest level of performance with that particular video card. You can't upgrade the video card after purchase but in the future you could always add an external Thunderbolt SSD drive that can match or exceed the speed and capacity of any current SSD option. The 2GB video card is also the 680.

I would also not choose to get it with 16GB of RAM from Apple. Just get it with the included 8GB and upgrade the RAM yourself. It would definitely be cheaper. I would also look at getting a refurbished current model and you'll save hundreds, as I did. In fact, I saved $400.

Will the difference be noticeable between the 675 and 680 if I only do photo editing and video editing? I don't play video games but if the 680 helps in these other areas then it's worth it.

-- hide signature --

Allen

Well, more and more apps use your GPU so a more powerful GPU is beneficial now and likely to be more beneficial later.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow