What's your primary interest, video or photos?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,104Gear list
Like?
What's your primary interest, video or photos?
9 months ago

After reading a lot of the recent posts on the d7100 and Canon's latest, the 70d, I was left  wondering. I know that it matters to some, but does video really matter to most dslr buyers, really?  When I say "most", I mean the majority, ie 51% or more. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a factual answer to that question, nor does it matter in any real sense, because I believe that dslr video is here to stay.

As a point of fact, I have no interest in video in a dslr, which certainly colors my POV.

Much is being made of Canon's new technology, PDAF on the sensor. It would appear to be a significant improvement for video and live view AF.  I don't often use live view, but when I do, I often choose to use the articulating screen on the d5100.  The AF speed in live view, has not been an issue for me.  Would I appreciate faster live view AF if I had it?  I don't know for sure, but I tend to doubt it.  What I care about is accuracy, not speed, for AF in live view shots.

The 70d has been given the same AF as the 7d, which I believe is a significant improvement, much in the same way as the d7100 has inherited the much improved cam3500.

Seems to me that the new sensor in the d7100 is probably an improvement over the d7k, for purposes of photography.  It remains to be seen whether or not that is true for the 70d vs 60d. I hope, for the sake of Canon shooters, that the 70d sensor is an improvement for still photos.

I am not envious of Canon's new AF tech, for video/LV, and I am glad that Nikon has kept its focus on keeping image quality high, while increasing MPs.  The only reasons I'm not a happy d7100 owner are due to the camera's speed/buffer limitations, nothing more.  I may eventually end up with one.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow