* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 271, 13 07 03 *

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fixxxer
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Re: Taking photos over Aurlandsfjord
In reply to dave gaines, Jul 4, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

The Samyang 8mm fisheye is not a 180 degree view on an Olympus or the Pentax K100D. The Olympus 8 mm f/3.5 fish eye lens is. This is really wide, but it doesn't appear to be fisheye. Did you crop it at all?

I think it's about 172° or something like that but it says "fisheye" on the lens, so I have to go with that when describing what lens I used

I did not crop it at all, but below is a photo on how the view looks with the Zuiko 14-54 at 14mm on more or less the same spot (a few meters out on the ramp). The angle in the original is wider than it might appear to be, the trees were very much behind me from where I shot that.

I like the green and the lake and the great vantage point. The closest thing to that here in the US is all the way up in Montana near Canada, in Glacier National Park.

I get the feeling that the left side of the lake is cut off by the deck and rail. I want to see the continuation of the lake. The deck and couple could work if you had a higher viewpoint that looked out over the deck rail and into the green forest nearby. That's just my opinion about the composition and viewpoint.

I actually didn't do any from the edge of the ramp (with the fisheye that is) because I think that smiling mouth effect ruined the shot too much and I couldn't get around it properly, but I'll think about that higher vantage point the next time. Had I been alone there I'd probably climbed the railing but there were a lot of people there and they don't know me so they'd probably think I'd fall down or something (people often do when they see me in this kind of places). Thanks for the advices! Appreciate them!

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus E-620 with Zuiko 14-54 2.8-3.5

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow