Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,527Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 4, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Your reaction, about 0.25 seconds, is much slower than both, so it does not matter

Your whole life you train your reactions to be in sync with your visual input - and the EVF removes that sync artificially! So the lag does very much matter! But lag is not the only problem of EVF systems, they show very little in terms of the scene (their dynamic range is far smaller than that of the resulting image) and the switch between video and still photo capture is a lengthy process for any sensor, introducing additional lag especially between shots when the mechanical movement of the mirror back into position is much faster...

So for action EVF systems suck big time!

Agree in general, but there are exceptions: some EVF cameras use a buffer that will start recording from e.g. 1 second BEFORE you press the shutter button.  Some of the Nikon 1 cameras can do this, and even ten years ago or so there were some Olympus cameras using the same trick. It's a very nice trick for some types of fast action (e.g. start or finish pictures). If I want to take pictures of a dragonfly taking off with a DSLR I'm out of luck, it will be outside the frame within 0.1 second or so and there is usually no way to 'anticipate' the right moment. I have considered buying a Nikon 1 camera just for that type of images

Theoretically one could use the same buffer trick in combination with a DSLR, but technically that would not make sense.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow