Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stillwatergal
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Travel tripod for 7D or 5D3 with various lenses
Jul 4, 2013

I have a 7D and am getting a 5D3.  Both will have RRS L brackets and the adapter plate and hub for the Cotton Carrier.  My lenses (most used) are Canon 24-105 and 70-200 f/4.  I also use (though not so much on the tripod) a 100-400 and have a flash (rarely used). Current tripod is the 5 section Gitzo GT 1550T (now discontinued) which folds to 13.98" and weighs 2.2 lbs (minus the ballhead and plate).  Worked fine when I used an XSi with the 24-105 but not too well with the 7D or the 70/200--not as stable as I'd like.  I need a new tripod that I'll use primarily when traveling.  I have a lousy neck so weight is ALWAYS a consideration--which is why I love the Cotton Carrier.  I am short (5' tall), live in the southwest and mostly do travel photography so I can be at the Grand Canyon or Bryce and then get to Africa and a year later Asia. Am considering the following (and obviously no longer live near B and H or in a place where I can go and see any of these):

Gitzo GT 1544T;

Gitzo GT 1541T (discontinued but I know someone who'll sell me one);

Gitzo 2542T;

Benro C2680T; and

Sirui T2205.

For various reasons I've ruled out Feisol and Photoclam.

While price is always an issue my priorities are stability for the weight I work with and carrying weight.  I know the prices and weights but I've never seen any of these models and doubt I've seen any Benro or Sirui at all.  I've seen comments that stability for these Benro and Sirui equals Gitzo and other comments that seem more skeptical.

All thoughts are welcome, particularly from those who own similar equipment.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Stillwatergal

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow