Why is my NEX not as good as RX100 or even LX5?

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,201Gear list
Like?
Re: OP is useless speculation
In reply to CosmoZooo, Jul 4, 2013

CosmoZooo wrote:

I challenge your conclusion - it is illogical. RX100 is miles ahead of any 1/2.3 sensor P&S and still if you look at DXO it's sensor rating is significantly below that of the NEX.

If you take even a very good P&S with a tiny sensor even the slightly larger 1/1.7 the NEX sensor will have I would guess 4+ stops advantage over it and the small sensor cameras just can't complete with large sensors on dynamic range. Even in a good light a P&S can't resolve as much detail as NEX. When low light hits forget it - RX100 is the first compact that could do anything reasonable in low light.

An NEX with a kit lens should perform on the level of a typical mid-level DSLR with a kit lens - a 3.5-5.6 is practically standard but NEX should deliver better low light then many. And no one would claim that even the best P&S RX100 aside could outperfrom a DSLR. The details and dtnamic range are just not there The fact that small sensor cameras have fast lenses is meaningless because their sensors are tiny and just don't get as much light.

I see it as a game of leapfrog, so to speak. Because the newly-announced RX-100 II now has a backside-illuminated sensor. That really is a big deal and all arguments wrt the RX-100 vs NEX in this thread could be re-visited  soon, considering this new technology.

"The RX100 II features a new 1-inch 20.2-megapixel Exmor R backside-illuminated CMOS sensor that the company claims is 40% more sensitive in low-light situations than the RX100′s sensor. The ISO range is 160 to 12800 (expandable up to 25600)."

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/27/sony-unveils-the-rx100-ii-better-sensor-wi-fi-hotshoe-and-a-tilting-screen/

However there's a new NEX-7 coming sometime and I FULLY expect ithat it too will have a backside-illuminated sensor. This is where the Sony NEX line will step ahead of it's competition.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow