Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722
Like?
Replacing Lost Boot Disk ???
Jul 4, 2013

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that originally shipped with an OSX 10.6.3 boot disk. The problem (and the subject of this post) is that I lost the disk and I am now in need of it (really only to run Disk Utility). Please read on.

Since I've owned this laptop, I have updated/upgraded the OS over time eventually to 10.8.4. The "jumps" from 10.6.x to 10.7 and then to 10.8 were done using the OSX download purchased from the AppStore. You all know that drill.

I am in a quandary as to what to do to create a boot disk that will match the original one shipped with the MBP when I bought it. Now, I've read chapter and verse about creating a bootable disk (I do have a USB 8gb flash drive I could use). However, what has me somewhat spooked is what Apple states as a precaution here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159  - that says (in part): "… Retail copies of Mac OS X may not always work properly with new Macs. Even if the retail version has been updated via Software Update to a later version of Mac OS X than originally came with a Mac, you may have unexpected issues….." I am reading that to mean that one should not use a boot disk with an OSX version later than the originally supplied boot disk that came with the computer (nor should one use an older version either).

Looking for guidance on what to do and whether Apple's stated precautions (likely written by their lawyers) is some that has practical significance and whether using a later OSX boot disk would in fact create real issues when the original supplied disk was 10.6.3.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow