Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 15,980
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Midwest, Jul 4, 2013

Midwest wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Eventually, I expect OVFs to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Eventually, with sufficient improvements to the MP3 player, one might expect live music performances to also go the way of the dinosaurs. But, not really.

Your analogy is full of holes.  First of all, an OVF in a DSLR (rangefinder-type OVFs are a different story) is only analog in one dimension; light intensity.  It has only 2 dimensions, spatially, and they have finite resolution, as it is only possible to have a bright image emanating from the ground glass when it has fairly coarse texture.  IOW, the ground glass screen has limited resolution.

MP3 has variable compression, and an MP3 player can approach the quality of a WAV with minimal compression (I always rip to 384kbps as a minimum). only provide music from two locations, and an MP3.  A live performance is interactive with the user's ears and their positioning, and our hearing is not of combined waveforms, but of individual cilia oscillating to independent airborne frequencies.

You're going to be enjoying that 7D's 100% OVF (or one like it) for a long time to come, as I am mine.

Really?  I am not enjoying it in low light, and it is horrible for manual focusing.  An EVF that can detect where my eye is looking, and create a very aliased version of the image in a rectangle in that area would make manual focusing a breeze.  If I put my Hoodman on my Pentax Q (a virtual EVF with much higher quality than most real EVFs), and use its focus peaking, I can nail manual focus to a degree that is just a dream with my 7D, OVF, and 800mm f/11.  Holding the Q while focusing the lens is the real issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow