95% NTSC TN vs 60% NTSC IPS for my particular use?

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevenmh
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
95% NTSC TN vs 60% NTSC IPS for my particular use?
Jul 4, 2013

I'm fairly new to photography, got a G3 in December 2011. Had nothing but compacts prior. Bought Lightroom 4 and started shooting RAW a year ago. Upgraded to a G5 last fall and just upgraded to Lightroom 5. I shoot family and vacation photos, and in particular a lot of photos of our toddler. I export to JPEG on a shared drive which I stream to a couple of HDTVs for viewing. I rarely print, and if I do, it's to frame a photo that came out particularly well at 4x6 or 5x7 or to stick it on the fridge. In short, it's all personal / hobby, nothing professional / paid / critical, although I like to do the best job I can with my limited skill set.

I had previously been using my desktop PC in the basement. I had a 23" HP TN glossy monitor, but adjusting on that was giving me overly saturated pics on the TVs. So I got a 23" 72% NTSC matte IPS monitor and a Spyder4Pro and those problems went away.

Life changes when the baby starts walking, and I no longer have the time to camp out in the basement developing photos. After getting further and further behind, I started shopping laptops that I could use as a desktop replacement as I roam around the house watching my son, and also while traveling. Based on this, the laptop screen needs to be suitable for editing, and not rely on an external monitor.

I was looking at the Sagers with 95% NTSC matte panels. Then they released a Haswell-based model with IPS screen. I emailed Sager about color gamut, and it's only 60% NTSC. I thought that may be subpar since it doesn't even cover sRGB, so I ended up with a model with the 95% TN screen, which I've calibrated with Sypder4Pro which is stating 91% NTSC.

The laptop is nice, and has the nicest display of any laptop I've ever owned. However, vertical angles are still somewhat limited. I'm wondering how important 95% color gamut is when I don't know at exactly what angle I'm actually seeing the colors at their most accurate rendering.  I believe that the slight shift I see within a reasonable range of viewing angle will probably not create any severe problems when the finished JPEGs are viewed on the TVs, but I'm wondering if the 60% NTSC IPS screen would have been a better choice.

I'm not making fine adjustments to color, I don't even know how to any real degree. I apply the Huelight Standard G5 profile on import.  I might tinker with bringing out some blue in the sky on a landscape shot, or add a touch of vibrance, but that has to do more with the amount of color, not whether the color is accurate.  I'm not moving tone curves around and stuff like that. I do adjust white balance, but I don't know if a reduced gamut would impact my ability to do that. It's more a matter of warmer vs cooler than whether this shade of blue meets aRGB specifications.

I've got a couple weeks of no-questions-asked return window left.  On one hand, I've spent a lot of time getting all my programs installed and set up just the way I want, Lightroom is running fast, and an exchange and re-setup would be a fairly significant hassle.  On the other hand, I'd like to make the purchase last on the order of 5 years, and I could justify an extra day or so if there's a compelling reason to do so.

So, does anyone have an opinion to offer?  For my particular use, does a cheap IPS panel that doesn't cover sRGB make more sense than a high end TN panel that almost covers aRGB?  My guess is that I could make either one work for what I'm doing, and there's probably not enough reason to switch at this point, but I'd like to hear from those who are more knowledgeable about it.

Thanks!

Steve

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow