John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,299
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Midwest, Jul 4, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

Let's assume the best case scenario, that Canon's new dual pixel AF system works just as well in live view as it does with the mirror down. Great, so why keep the mirror and OVF at all? This fall's newest generation of EVFs are surely going to drive the lastnail in the OVF coffin and turn it into a complete anacrhonism, making the 70D technologically obsolete just a few months in. It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality. So the 70D may be a nice camera, too bad canon stuck it with an OVF and mirror that the more competitive cameras will soon be able to do without (by soon I mean this fall, like Olympus, Sony, etc.)

You're going to get some disagreement on this post.

It gets so wearisome trying to explain to fruit-bowl and flower shooters why a TTL OVF is both necessary and superior to mirrorless, at least for those of us who aren't photo'ing things that just stand in place.

As always a case of insecurity brought on by 'when they stop making that other kind of camera, it will prove that mine is the best kind' syndrome.

Are we talking about last year's affordable EVFs, or tomorrow's?  I certainly feel compromised looking through the EVF of my Canon SX50 compared to looking through my Canon 7D or 6D, especially for telephoto stuff, but I envision a future where we have 4MP EVFs with quality optics with high contrast and brightness variation to match the ambient lighting, and lag that is less than 5ms, and a user-selectable pre-click time offset to get a buffered shot from before the time that you pressed the shutter button.  This could result in far less practical lag than when we have to wait for a slothful, camera-shaking mirror to get out of the way.  The only exception being that if you have just quickly swung the camera into position, the composition will be slightly off.  If you're already on-target, pure gain.

Eventually, I expect OVFs to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow