Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cyuill2007
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Focusing Issue, V1 + 30-110mm
Jul 4, 2013

I have read about and experienced myself a problem the V1 sometimes has when doing single-point AF focusing. The two photos below illustrate the problem. A small bird landed and perched on a vine of a raspberry bush. I was shooting with my 30-110mm lens, and my V1 was set to single-point AF with the rectangle in the center of the picture. The bird and vine it was on took up most of the AF rectangle in the viewfinder, but the camera decided to instead focus on the background, leaving the bird extremely out of focus.

Extremely Out-Of-Focus Bird Perched on Raspberry Bush

I was disappointed by this. I have experienced this issue when using my FT-1 + 70-300 AF-S VR lens, but I expected better when using a native 1 Nikkor lens on my V1 in bright daylight. I think I pointed the camera down ever so slightly so that almost none of the background appeared in the AF rectangle. This seemed to do the trick.

Finally! An In-Focus Bird Perched on a Raspberry Bush

I have also experienced circumstances where I couldn't acquire proper focus at all, such as when a bird was behind two twigs flanking the bird. This is a situation where a manual focusing ring and good manual-focusing aids would come in really handy.

I am curious about what techniques other Nikon 1 shooters have used to overcome those times when the AF system just won't properly focus on the desired subject, especially when single-shot AF is used to precisely position the AF rectangle over the desired spot but doesn't quite work properly.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow