Please evaluate photos and be critical!

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
Re: Please evaluate photos and be critical!
In reply to Guidenet, Jul 4, 2013

Haha, first all, thanks for being so detailed. Probably took a whole lot of time to individually pick out problem areas.

Guidenet wrote:

First thing I'd like to ask is why are you linking these in from off site and stripping the EXIF when you seem to have them in your DPR Gallery here with EXIF attached?

One can only critique composition when the EXIF is missing. Since we can't see what camera, lens, focal length, shutter speed, etc. it is impossible to critique the craft side of the images. Always leave the EXIF attached when asking for a critique. You can always ask that the critique only include the Art part. Fair enough?

Haha I just didn't feel it's necessary. I thought most people leave out EXIF data here anyway?

Ok, this is a flower and is ubiquitous as an image especially novices. We've all been caught by the flower bug and I'm referring to the bug. If you're going to do this kind of shot, I'd really get a whole lot nearer either by macro or by cropping. You have way too much background going on. Personally, I'd crop it on the left side mostly as well as the top and bottom, leaving the flower, bug and most of the right side such as that bug is dead on the upper left intersection of a tic tac to board.

I wanted to do a tighter crop but at 10mp I feel that I shouldn't be pushing it. Point taken though.

Pretty dog and everyone likes pet pictures. This one is adorable. I also like the crop one of the others suggested. I'd crop the entire left side almost to the dog's ear. This is your second with the subject in the middle. That's usually a no no unless your subject is extremely compelling. This one is not.

I like the side lighting and the catch lights in the eyes are ok, but would look better maybe round. Sometimes popping a strobe at that window will create better catchlights, but yours aren't bad. Looking a little harder, I'd even crop a bit of right side and top. Always get in tight.

I just realised I don't know what catchlight refers to hahaha.. it's just daylight in this case.

Okay I'd crop tighter next time.

Another ubiquitous flower shot. At least the main one is sharp, not centered and my eye starts there. The problem is, where does my eye go next? Mine goes to that red thingie in the tree. Red always grabs attention. You should have gotten rid of it in Photoshop. Next my eye goes to the bright yellow. Why, because the eye goes to bright over non bright things. So, the eye goes to sharp, then red then bright. That's pretty normal, but I'm thinking the red and yellow parts are not secondary or tertiary interest points. I'd have use the content away clone or heal tool to delete the red thing, them subdue the yellow by dodging it. The yellow is blown so I doubt there's any detail but you could may try to pull them out.

Ooh but isn't that lying? I mean the scene had that... I don't know. It does sound like it'd improve the image but it's kinda dishonest as well?

Interesting. I like the clouds. I like the polarizer here. What happens when you simplify this by cropping all that left land poking out there. I'd also crop out the few tops of plants remaining poking out of the lower left corner. I think that would make the image. How about you?

I had to keep the image minimally cropped for a wallpaper submission prerequisite. I can see though why people might prefer the mountain being the only subject but I like the surrounding land and foreground too.

This is my favorite, but I'd chop the heck out of it. I'd crop the entire right half off of it. That large rock and the far side of the water don't add a thing. It's the leaves that math that far grass and the tree that matter. I'd also crop about a 10% off the bottom. I think you'd end up with a much more powerful vertical image. I like it.

I'd have to kindly disagree once more. I like the large rocks, it kinda imparts this feeling of serenity to the scene which otherwise is bursting with colours and details.

I have not much to say here. I don't find this one interesting enough. Why did you stop here? Why did you take this shot? I'm sure there's something, but somehow you didn't see it. you should have worked the scene and figured out what you saw that made you stop. Maybe had you gotten on the ground beside those larger rocks and shot it with the rocks framing one side. I'd use a small aperture to get those rocks and the distance in focus. Put the camera in manual focus and f/22 then focus manually on a spot about two meters out. Don't listen to the naysayers who tell you not to use f/22. Us it and see for yourself. You'll have all kinds of Depth of Field on that V1.

For some reason, of all the shots I've ever taken this is my favourite. Whenever I ask my friends/family/other people though, they seem to prefer either the mountain shot or the lakeshore shot above, guess I'm alone here on this haha.

f/22 is f/60 on full-frame! That's overkill, no? The 1 lenses go to a maximum of f/16. The diffraction limit is f/8 on most of the lenses, and I tend to keep them f/4-5.6 at most times. I'd definitely consider what you said though, and see for myself if clarity is higher from sharpest but low aperture or high aperture with diffraction.

This is a non-keeper to me. I don't at all care for that orange streak, whatever it is in front of the animal's nose. Everything's pretty much centered but I can't see how to crop out of that. I can't see what the animal is looking so intently at, so I'm not happy there either. I'd toss it.

Oh okay.

This is another I'm not happy with so much. I don't think it's framed well. The best part of it is the pretty sky. You need to learn to move around and get low. You might make a picture from just cropping out everything but the upper left quadrant. I don't know.

Frankly, I don't like this shot as well, just thought I wanted to hear what others have to say. I find the colour cast of the plants annoying as well as their messiness. Yeah probably should have made it more of the sky.

Nice series and it was a pleasure. Remember, this is all just opinion and mine might be totally a poor one. I also reserve the right to change my mind after others take different looks and show me other cool things I missed seeing.

Good luck and keep working that talent.

No worries, I always welcome a detailed critique.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow