Brands/power/modifiers color temperature

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Brands/power/modifiers color temperature
In reply to Zlik, Jul 4, 2013

Lots of white papers and some white fabrics have UV whiteness enhancers added to them.

I bought a set of cheap Chinese strip softboxes because the manufacturer of my studio strobes doesn't sell strip softboxes. The first tests with the new strip softboxes showed that there was a very noticeable color cast.

Testing with a ColorChecker Passport showed me that my studio strobes had a color temperature of about 5200 with the 7" metal reflector, about 5300-5400 with the manufacturer's softboxes or the strip softboxes without any diffusers, and 6200 with the strip softbox diffusers installed.

Doing a simple WB correction left a tint so that skin tones were no longer accurate. The only way to get accurate colors was to do a full color profile with the ColorChecker Passport.

I am pretty sure the WB and color tint problems are due to UV enhancers in the diffuser fabric. I'm still trying to find a solution, which may involve begging the studio strobe manufacturer to sell me some diffuser material so I can make new diffusers.

If at all possible I recommend you stick with one manufacturer for your diffusers.  If you mix diffuser manufacturers don't be surprised if you have problems with colors matching.  You can even have problems if you buy a new diffuser that is exactly the same as an old one since fabrics yellow and change the color balance with time.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow