Brands/power/modifiers color temperature

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008
Like?
Re: Brands/power/modifiers color temperature
In reply to Zlik, Jul 3, 2013

Zlik wrote:

- which brands (Elinchrom, Einstein, Broncolor,Nikon/canon speedlights, etc) tend to have less change in color temperature at different output powers (full power vs 1/8 vs 1/16 vs 1/64 etc) ?

I can't speak to other brands, but PCB Einsteins have a special setting to maximize color temp consistency at different outputs

- which modifiers and modifier brands (softboxes, beauty dishes, umbrellas, etc) are the most "color neutral" ? Do the cheap modifiers affect the color temperature more than the expensive ones ? Does it change between different products inside of the same brand ?

I don't think you can generalize, but see my response below on the best way to deal with the issue

- Have you found DIY materials (white paper, aluminium foil, white bed sheets etc) that are "color neutral" ?

No, DIY varies as much as anything. For instance, common white paper is almost never color neutral and I would imagine bed sheets are the same (never used them myself for anything other than sleeping though.)

Is the only solution to shoot with one kind of lights and brand at a time ?

Without a doubt, this is the best solution if this is really a concern. I would add using the same brand modifiers with the same brand lights at the same time.

Do you guys mix different modifiers together ?

I do and it is sometimes a problem as you have noticed

The difference I noticed was not excessive, but enough to get slightly different skin tones in the same photo depending on which light was hitting which part of the subject ! If using only one light, there is of course no issue because you can correct for that light and the whole photo will have the same temperature/tint. As soon as you add a second light, both lights must have the exact same color temperature (I am not talking about gelling for bigger differences in light temperatures used for effect) or you get weird color casts in some parts of the photos, even if that difference is not very pronounced.

Thanks for reading.

This comes up in many different contexts. I do a lot of product photography work and getting true/ consistent color is important to the point where I also have to consider the color bias of my background paper, fill cards (e.g., foam core) etc. When I shoot portraits it can also affect skins tones, hair color, clothing, etc. The one brand lights & modifiers is the best solution. Then do the best you can with everything else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow