Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Ali
Ali
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
Re: HX50V zoom stability?
In reply to adsada, Jul 3, 2013

adsada wrote:

I'm interested to know how you're using superior auto and getting ISO100 results for even the zoomed shots? Whenever I use this mode as soon as I zoom in it often shoots up to ISO800 even in well lit conditions. any ideas on why this is? I have a feeling I have a faulty camera, hopefully not though

The wide version of your shot uses f3.5, which allows more light. Zoomed in the camera moves to f6.3 (can't do any better), so it bumps up the ISO from 200 to 800 to give you the same overall exposure.

As far as why it used ISO800 rather than changing the shutter speed, I am guessing that it didn't want to give you less than 1/200s while at zoomed in so much.

And why you are getting such values in a daylight shot --- your subject seems relatively dark and doesn't seem to be in direct sunlight...

A shot in direct sunlight is canonically f16, 1/100s, at ISO 100.  Your shot at f6.3, 1/200s, ISO 800 is 5 stops difference, which I think makes sense.

I don't think you have a faulty camera.

Ali

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow