Is the Profoto D1 500 Air Really That Much Heavier than the Acute D4 Head?

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Lindsey
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Is the Profoto D1 500 Air Really That Much Heavier than the Acute D4 Head?
Jul 3, 2013

I am trying to clear up what I believe to be a common misconception regarding the weight disadvantage for some monolights. Specifically the weight of the Profoto D1 Air vs. the Profoto Acute D4 head. Generally, it is a common belief that one disadvantage to the D1 monolight is its weight in situations like combining it with a beauty dish on the end of a boom. I don’t deny that not all monolights are as light as the D1, but could someone out there who owns both the D1 (perhaps the 500ws) and the D4 Acute pack head please verify that this is really a disadvantage to be considered when judging the D1. From what I gather the D1 500 Air weighs 5.38 lbs and the D4 weighs in at 4.85 lbs. Making the D1 .53 lbs, or 11% heavier. The one thing that I cannot account for is the added weight of the cable connecting the D4 to the pack. Assume that the light will be 7 feet above the floor. I do realize that one would also need to account for the power cable running from the D1 to the outlet or battery, but I believe that the pack cable far outweighs that of the D1. Is there anyone out there privileged enough to have both setups that can please clarify this once and for all?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D1 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow