Post some night photos!

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Photos thread
Atwater
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: Post some night photos!
In reply to sinkas, Jul 3, 2013

sinkas wrote:

Do you find the EM5 over exposes night shots in "Program"? I normally use a hefty amount of negative exp compensation. Perhaps I should use manual?

Generally speaking and in an automatic mode, any camera will attempt to expose a scene to an "average" grey.  It doesn't recognize that a scene is a night shot with deep blacks, nor conversely that a scene might be a snow shot with bright whites.  The camera will attempt in both cases to render the shot toward a medium gray exposure.

Some cameras have "scene modes" such as "Night," "Snow," "Beach," etc. that adjust the exposures accordingly.  But it's better to learn to do it yourself-- as you are doing with the exposure compensation.  I sometimes use Manual, and using it is a good way to learn more about your camera.   I generally shoot Aperture Priority, though, and it's easier/lazier for me to adjust the exposure compensation-- not sure it's the best technique.

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow