Started Jul 3, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sikander
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Advice of changing SLR platforms from Nikon to Canon
Jul 3, 2013

I have been a Nikon DSLR user for the last 5 years, starting with a D300 and then replacing that with a D7000. I have been very happy with Nikon so far. The features I use most frequently are spot metering coupled to the focus point in manual mode, the self-timer, and a speedlight in auto mode for fill-in and studio shots.

My issue is with carrying around  a heavy DSLR and all that goes with it. I want the best of both worlds - a DSLR sensor with the portability of a compact. The new mirrorless cameras such as the EOS M and the Nikon 1 Series seem to be the answer to what I am looking for. However, I want my sensor to be as large as possible because I sometimes take large prints, so I much prefer the idea of owning an EOS M to a Nikon 1V as a second body.

I am hoping to buy new gear soon and I'm wondering if I should sell my Nikon camera and lenses and switch to an EOS M with a converter, an 18-135 lens, and a flash for now, and then add an EOS DSLR as and when my budget permits. I don't want to be without a DSLR for more than a year as the shutter lag of the mirrorless camera will hamper me in some situations. Ideally I want my kit to have one DSLR and one mirrorless camera. Since Nikon isn't showing any signs of coming out with a mirrorless DX sensor camera I'm feeling more inclined to switch to Canon, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth all the effort of swapping kits and getting used to a new system. I'd love to hear the opinions of people who have experience with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D300 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow