Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tino27
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Shooting Food On All White Background
Jul 3, 2013

I've been tasked with the assignment of shooting fair food on a white background ... essentially, foods on a stick (think corndogs, candy apples, chicken skewers, etc.). The wrinkle is that the shooting has to be done on location at the actual fair and not in a studio.

At the moment, I've got two Canon 600EX-RT speedlites and a ST-E3 to control them both off-camera. I thought about simply laying the food in question on top of a white foam core board, lighting from the side via a 16" softbox, another white foam core card on the opposite side to provide fill light, and then shooting from straight above. The problem I predict, however, would be that the entire background wouldn't be white; it would gradually fall off.

I could light the foam core board from both sides to ensure that the board is evenly lit (and thus white), but then of course, I'd lose some of the dimensionality that the shadows would bring.

Any thoughts?

Tino27's gear list:Tino27's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow