Sunny 16 rule ... not optimal at 16?

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunny 16 rule ... not optimal at 16?
In reply to adymitruk, Jul 3, 2013

adymitruk wrote:

onlooker wrote:

FuzzyQball wrote:

I remember my father telling us all to stay still, while he wandered around with his light meter, took notes, made calculations, and then minutes later took the shoot. All this was because the camera did not have a light meter built in. Also you could not see the results until much later, so you had to exercise care. Using the built in meter, with histogram if you need to, is the way to go. Know your camera and compensate when you need to.

Incident light meter allows you to shoot much faster than a built-in one.

This is due to not waiting for the camera to process the image? IE, manual mode with manual focus will be the fastest? How about turning other processing off? RAW only? What's the best option on an NEX-7?

It might be better phrased as, "Incident light meters allow you to get the correct exposure for many scenes, in the camera, faster."

For instance, a couple of years ago I took a picture of the matte black Carrera logo on gloss black Porsche. I let the camera meter the scene. It came out mid-grey throughout, and I had to take it down like 2EV in post to get a print that matched the actual scene. Luckily, in this case, there weren't really any highlights to lose, but, if I had used an incident light meter, or shot a grey card to set exposure, my shot would have been correctly exposed from the start, without the need for post processing.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow