Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Photos thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW
In reply to tomatmosferik, Jul 3, 2013

tomatmosferik wrote:

I always think it's a bit like spot the difference with RAW & JPEG.

I hear people going on about the difference, but to 99% of people they can't tell the difference.

I've been photographing for over 10 years now and for the most part images look the same.

I think a lot of it is for those who pixel peep and really need to think about getting out, having a drink and giving a girl a kiss.

That's a pretty ridiculous last statement. A majority, though not all, pros use raw. Given the ridiculous turnaround times many pros work to, don't you think they would all stick to JPEG - it is quicker, much quicker after all. Yet most don't - they choose to shoot raw for a reason.

My own approach is that I like to have control over how my image is processed and I have an artistic vision for where I want the image to go. I find it easier to realise that vision if I start with a raw file than a JPEG. I have shot many brands - Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, Konica-Minolta, Sony, and have always been more pleased with raw output than JPEG. But then I don't mind getting to know the best raw processor for my needs and my cameras and learning how to tweak the best IQ out of it. This is not for everyone and I can understand that.

But your last statement is, to me, like saying in the old days of film, why bother developing and printing your own photographs when wal-mart can do that for you. For those of us who remember, and who liked the darkroom work, the 'digital darkroom' offered by raw processing is like a natural extension. To you it may seem a pointless waste of time, to me and others it is an enjoyable part of the art of photography - something creative. It's not someting I would impose on others - if you are happy with JPEGs then good for you, but no need to put down those who prefer working with raws. And FYI I am lucky enough to have a lovely wife and great kids, so I do have a life

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow