D800 for Sports

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 3,421
D800 for Sports

I shoot high school sports with a 400mm on D3s. Most of the photos are highly cropped to isolate the action. Sometimes I feel that there just isn't enough pixels to warrant selling the photos. Since most of the time I timed my shots rather than using burst mode, not to say I don't use the burst mode, which I do in certain situations. I think the D800 would be a good choice for sports because of the 36mp sensor and its low light capability. I know Thom Hogan does not recommend using the D800 for sports, but recommends the D7000 with the 1.5x crop factor and the use of cheaper lens. But, Thom is not a sports photographer, does not use ISO at 6400, which the D7000 loses a few stops. My photo need is not based on economics so only pro stuff will do. Who uses the D800 for sports?

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow